Oxford students launch new group + walk for gun reform in Oxford
Hi there! I’m back in your inbox this morning to tell you all the big things happening in Rochester-Rochester Hills. Enjoy…
First, today’s weather forecast:
Cloudy and sunny weather. High: 73 Low: 56.
Here are the top stories in Rochester-Rochester Hills today:
- Oxford students launch an initiative to advocate for sensible gun reform. The “No Future Without Today” group researches Secure Storage/Child Access Prevention (CAP), Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), Red Flag Laws, Universal Background Checks
- Thousands of people will gather Washington DC and cities across the country on Saturday, June 11 to demonstrate the need to reform national gun laws. In addition to the “March for Our Lives” demonstration in DC, several marches are planned in the Detroit metro area, including in Oxford. (Rochester Hills patch)
- Matthew Lewinski, 37, of Clinton Township, killed his girlfriend at their home in December 2020, and hid his body in the house for seven months. The body was discovered by his family in July 2021, authorities said. (WDIV ClickOnDetroit)
Today in Rochester-Rochester Hills:
- NOHAZ Oxford Middle School – Charter Township of Oakland (8:00 a.m.)
- Trail Tour – Rochester Regional Chamber of Commerce (8:30 am)
- Trail & EXPO tour (8h30)
- Emagine Sensory Friendly – Downton Abbey: A New Era (9:45)
From my notebook:
- Rochester Police: “Tomorrow is the big day for the return of the Rochester Police Department Open House and Bike Safety Rodeo. Please come see us from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bring your bike and take the bike safety course, get a free bike helmet if you need…” (Rochester Police via Facebook)
- Rochester, Michigan Community Schools: “What a joy to celebrate the Class of 2002 at Rochester Adams High School who represent the pride and legacy of our entire community! We wish these graduates the best as they seek the passion in their hearts and make a positive difference.. .” (Rochester Community Schools, MI via Facebook)
- Executive Office, Oakland County, Michigan: “My time at the Detroit Regional Chamber’s #MPCC22 Mackinac Policy Conference was a whirlwind! For the past few days, I’ve been at a press event to announce the new headquarters for the World Economic Forum’s US Center for Ad. . ” (Executive Office, Oakland County, Michigan via Facebook)
- RCS Hart College: “Great job Elle, Marissa, Charlotte and Lauren for their 6th place finish in the 4×100 relay today! Amazing job ladies! #LeadwithHart” (RCS Hart Middle School via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
You are officially informed for today. I will see you soon!
— Dylan Siwicki
About me: I was born and raised on the Westside of Detroit, in the Polish blue-collar neighborhood of Warrendale. I am a Detroit Public School graduate who fought hard to earn my education. My aspiration to journalism came when I was young, when I started following the corruption scandal of former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. My first break into the world of journalism began with the opportunity to work at the Michigan Journal, where I primarily reported on campus and local news throughout the Dearborn community. I finally worked my way to the news editor. So, with first-hand experience growing up in a close-knit neighborhood, I know the importance of delivering news and telling stories that impact local communities. And as the latest news editor at Patch for Metro Detroit, it’s my job to deliver that news. So feel free to contact me about new tips or your own unique experiences at [email protected]
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Rochester-Rochester Hills Daily? Contact me at [email protected]