UPCOMING EVENTS – Wilmington News Journal
Upcoming public/community events in Clinton County are as follows. Email your public event information to [email protected] .
Thursday May 5
• national day of prayer annual local event at the Clinton County Courthouse at noon on Thursday, May 5 at the main street exterior entrance.
• Blanchester Community Wide Garage Sale semi-annual event on May 5, 6 and 7.
• Clinton County Alzheimer’s Support Group meets from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 5 and every first Thursday of the month. Due to Covid-19 positivity rates, this is now a Zoom meeting – hoping to return in person in June. For more information, contact Tom Dreyer at 937-382-2995 or [email protected]
• book lovers Blanchester Area Book Discussion Group at Fellowship Hall of Grace United Methodist Church, Wright and Center Streets, Blanchester, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 5, discussing “Anxious People” by Fredrik Backman. Anyone interested in participating can call the library at 937-783-3585 to get a copy of the book. New members are welcome
Friday, May 6
• Blessed union of souls at the Murphy Theater at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, May 6. For more information or to reserve tickets, visit www.themurphytheatre.org or call 937-382-3643 or email [email protected] .
• Cornbread and bean dinner 4:00-7:00 p.m. May 6 held by the Seniors of Blanchester in their center. Also includes coleslaw or salad, desserts and drinks; adult meal is $8 and children (under 12) $5.
Saturday May 7
• Wilmington Garden Club Plant Sale featuring a plethora of local plants and artisans from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, May 7 at the Clinton County History Center in Wilmington.
• Vegetable garden production: starting a garden. Adults can learn the basics at the Wilmington Public Library from noon to 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 7. Taught by the Clinton County Extension Office and free seeds to plant your own Ohio Victory Garden.
Sunday May 8
• Mike Albert Tribute to Elvis Presley special matinee concert for Mother’s Day at the Murphy Theater at 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 8. For more information or to reserve tickets, visit www.themurphytheatre.org or call 937-382-3643 or email [email protected] .
tuesday may 10
• Teen book club is new to the Wilmington Public Library. Meets at 4:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday (May 10) of each month. Visit the library website for the 2022 reading list.
Wednesday May 11
• Wilmington Community Blood Drive by CMH Regional Health System from noon to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 11 at 610 W. Main St., Wilmington. Everyone who signs up to donate will receive the new “Step Up to the Plate” baseball t-shirt. Make an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call 937-461-3220.
Thursday May 12
• day book club at the Wilmington Public Library; The Adult Book Club meets at 1:00 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month (May 12 this month) at the Main Library. Call 37-382-2417 or visit the library to pick up a copy of the current book.
• Food for All Mobile Pantry for Clinton County residents in need of food from Southwestern Ohio Catholic Charities from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, May 12 at St. Columbkille Catholic Church, 73 N. Mulberry St. in Wilmington. Families in need in the department are welcome. Photo ID required for registration and once a year a valid letter is required as proof of address.
Saturday May 14
• Clinton County Farmers Market returns Saturday, May 14 (through October 15) from 8:30 a.m. to noon at its new location, Clinton County Courthouse Square – due to the current downtown construction project, the Farmers Market will be temporarily located in the parking lot of the courthouse off Walnut Street. Learn more at www.clintoncountyfarmersmarket.com or follow on Facebook @ClintonCountyFarmersMarket for weekly events and happenings.
• Bike Rodeo at Denver Park 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 14, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Wilmington and the Clinton County Health Department. Learn bike safety and receive a free bike helmet, while supplies last.
Monday May 16
• Wilmington Peace Officers Memorial Service 1 p.m. on Monday, May 16 at Sugar Grove Cemetery. Gather at Patrolman Emery McCreight’s grave, directly east of the bridge between the original section and the new section.
Wednesday May 18
• Books and Beers Book Club at the Wilmington Public Library, the Adult Book Club meets at TinCap Cidery at 6 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month (May 18 of that month) and discusses books of various genres. Call the library at 937-382-2417 or visit to pick up a copy of the current book.
Thursday May 19
• dungeon and dragon at the Wilmington Public Library at 4 p.m. Thursday, May 19. Get ready to go on an adventure, perform daring deeds, slay a dragon (or befriend one!), find treasure, and have a wonderful time. Limited space; register at the WPL Circulation Desk, by calling 937-382-2417 or online at https://forms.gle/BKZ8kQi9v8ADYiks8.
tuesday 24 may
• Library Friends meets at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 24 at the Wilmington Public Library. Support the library by joining; Friends organize fundraisers, participate in programs and generally volunteer where they can to help the library and its mission. Welcome new members.
Saturday May 28
• The Motown Sounds of Touch Tribute at the Murphy Theater at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 28. For more information or to reserve tickets, visit www.themurphytheatre.org or call 937-382-3643 or email [email protected] .
• Harveysburg Historic Spring Gathering hosted by the Harveysburg Community Historical Society from 7-8 p.m. at the Harveysburg Village Office Building, 79 W. Main St., with Quaker historian Tom Hamm, professor of history and Quaker scholar-in-residence at Earlham College speaking about Valentine Nicholson and Abraham Brooke, radical abolitionist reformers from the Harveysburg area. Light refreshments will be served. More info, email [email protected] or [email protected] or call Deidre or Becky at 937-725-6653.
Saturday June 11
• Clinton County Special Olympics Athletics event at Blanchester High School. Athlete registration from 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. with opening ceremonies at 7 p.m. and start of events at 7:15 p.m. Admission is free; concessions are available. Interested in volunteering, participating or making a donation? Contact Latasha Ruddle at [email protected] or 937-382-7519.
friday june 17
• “Kids totally 80s America” — Wear your ’80s gear to this free concert in the Rock the Block Summer Concert Series presented by the CVB at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 17 in downtown Wilmington.
• “Blazing Brooks”, the best films of Mel Brooks at the Murphy Theatre. Friday, “Blazing Saddles” at 8 p.m.; Saturday, “Robin Hood Men in Tights” at 5 p.m. and “Young Frankenstein” at 8 p.m.; and Sunday, “The Producers” at 2 p.m. [email protected] .